Tuesday, December 05, 2006

er whoops.... last day of work? =/

Right, so I was supposed to update about my 1st day of work.... but, I didn't? :P

Well, just to let you guys know, i've resigned at o'briens after 3 weeks working there. I earned RM700+ from them and got aLOT of experience too (working in the F&B sector). Anyway, since i didnt update you guys RIGHT AFTER my 1st day, I'll just cover the entire working experience here! =)

Hmm, so working @ O'briens is really a crazy ass job. I remember just doing all sortsa things on my 1st day. Like washing dishes, then preparing some cold food, then learning how to use the juice machine, and then i was wiping tables. Then before I could become good at all those stuff, I was learning how to make sandwiches on my 2nd day. x( Working in O'briens is really tiring. You do all the jobs there are in 1 single day. Just doing whatever that needs to be done. Eg; preparing a sandwich when a customer is here, then preparing items after that, then washing the dishes 20 minutes later.

Well I spent my 1st few days in the kitchen just washing dishes, drying them and bringing them out, since I couldnt do anything else at the bar yet. Its basically just washing a sink-full of dishes with soap, then placing them in the dishwasher, and drying them with a cloth. Really, the 1st few days were just labour. However once the weekends were over, my manager eventually taught me how to handle the juice machine and how to make sandwiches at the bar too. However that wasn't a sign of relief at all. Making sandwiches and juices isn't really a cool-calm job.

Well making the sandwiches on your 1st and 2nd week is really stressful. Though it may sound really simple (a tripple decker consists of 9-10 ingredients including toasting the bread and spreading the butter), but really, its not that easy once ure holding the butter knife making your customer's sandwiches. You're supposed to make a single sandwich order in 3 minutes. I made my 1st sandwich in 6. =)
- Well my seniors told me it takes about 2-3 weeks before finally being able to make a sandwich fast and yummy-ly in 3 minutes.

Then theres the juice machine. Well handling the juice machine is really simple. Yes you just cut whatever fruits you need to cut to make your juice, then just put them in this biggish machine and *graaaaanngggggggg* away. Oh yes really simple. Until you finish making about 1 or 2 drinks, then the machine starts to get REALLY loud. When that happens, you have to open up the machine (mind you the machine is NOT a small hand blender, the cover is pretty heavy and the machine is as big as your waist up to your head), and dig up all the fruit waste from inside. Its a HUGE problem especially if you're asked to make juice on a busy day like a friday or a saturday. You have like 3-5 juices que-ed up in 1 go and you gotta stop after your 1st carrot juice to dig up the stuff. And once you're done with 5 another order kicks in. Eventually everybody says you're slow and pushes you to go faster.

Well besides the main jobs, theres the daily jobs we have to do, like morning slicing preparations and afternoon cold cuts. In the mornings we slice vege-items like tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers and that such. Its really an OK job, except for the part where you gotta handle the slicing machine. Let me describe the slicing machine. Its just like a miniature timber cutter. If you don't know what that looks like, well imagine a blade shaped like a disc, placed behind a flatish surface, so you place your item before the blade, and push it forward so the blade slices the item. You do it over and over again until its sliced into pieces. All the seniors said they've had their fingers accidently sliced by the machine before. Well, myself, i've cut my finger while I was cleaning the machine once. Small but deep cut.
-By the way, preparing the onions are a pain for the eyes : (
Afternoon cold cuts are basically the same, just that you have to slice turkey ham and cheese (which gets really messy and sticky) instead of tomatoes and cucumbers.

Then there's restocking, garbage disposal etc etc. Just the normal shit. And that about covers all of my job. The people there are really nice though. So if you're looking for a good place to work? Well O'Briens is definately a good starting job. Gives you aLOT of 1st hand experience, and the pay is fine too. However it's only good for working part time, and should never be taken as a job in your life time career. If you failed your SPM and have no where to go, trust me, Next door TGIF would be better than O'Briens.

Well thats about it. Until then, heres just a picture of me at home in my uniform. Catcha guys later!


-Dudu-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home